These are my notes while I play around with the Pax 2 documenting the hidden features. Big thank you to everybody in the comments for helping me figure out and document all these features and differences.
Since some of the modes modify the Pax 2 standby timer I’d like to note that the default standby timer is 30 seconds from last sensed movement or lip sense. Auto-shutoff on all modes is three minutes from the last sensed movement.
There are two different versions of the Pax 2 that I’ve discovered so far. The obvious difference between the two is the Simon mode. Units that didn’t have the Simon mode will play the Funky Town tune when shaken vertically. They also have some light patterns between modes that my Pax 2 doesn’t have. One looks like the color green swiping across the LED x. Another one is similar, but with the color red. The non-Simon units also do not have the fifth “oven off” setting in modes that allow it.
All of the instructions below refer to a Pax 2 unit that has Simon, and does not play Funky Town when shaken.
- Spin Technique: Holding the Pax 2 horizontally in front of you spin it smoothly three times towards or away from you to change modes. Be careful not to shake the Pax 2, this will not register as a spin and throw your count off. The below modes are listed in the order they show up. It’s easier to count spins in successful cycles of 3 than in total. Therefore Simon is five cycles of three spins, instead of 15 spins in total. If you try to keep count you’ll constantly find that you’ll need to add a few extra spins because it’s difficult to make every spin count.
Note: I’m seeing some confusion online, specifically pertaining to getting to Simon mode. If you’re having trouble getting to Simon mode by counting, stop counting and watch the lights. You’re waiting for the X to flash white three times. If you’re paying attention to the X, you shouldn’t miss it. No counting involved. Check the video below for a demo. It is possible that your Pax 2 does not have a Simon mode.
- Party Mode: All four lights are different and cycle through different colors. There appears to be a rhythm/pattern to the color cycle. Lip sensor activation increases speed of color change. Oven is on. Standby timer extended to one minute between sensing movement or lip.
- Party Timer: All four lights are stationary. When the Pax 2 is moved the lights jump into a random light configuration, occasionally one or more of the lights are very dim or off. If the Pax 2 is held face down the lights flicker and change rapidly. Lip sensor activation makes the lights flicker and change rapidly for up to 10 seconds. At 10 consecutive seconds of lip sensor activation the lights freeze. Removing your lips and replacing them starts another 10 second flicker display. Oven is on. Standby disabled.
- Light Painting : In this mode all four lights show the same color and cycle through colors while the Pax 2 is being moved, when still, the lights are off. Waving the Pax 2 through the air yields a color changing stream of light. The heater can be turned off in this mode by selecting a fifth available temperature, all four lights blue.
- Color Carousel: The lights react to movement and position of the Pax 2. When laid flat the Pax 2 shows blue. When facedown, an orangish-yellow. When I hold the Pax 2 upright and give it a little circular flick, the colors begin to cycle with a noticeable pattern. The colors can be seen transitioning from one light to the next, as if there is a big globe of colors inside and the lights reflect whichever colors face forward. The heater can be turned off in this mode by selecting a fifth available temperature, all four lights blue.
- Simon: Spin the Pax 2 until all four lights flash white three times. The simon game will begin. Hold the Pax 2 face up, horizontally in front of you. Observe the pattern displayed on the lights, then repeat the sequence by leaning the Pax 2 towards the appropriate light. The heater can be turned off in this mode by selecting a fifth available temperature, all four lights blue.
- Funky Town Tone – Pax 2 faintly plays the tune to Funky Town when it turns on. You can hear it if you’re within a few inches of the Pax 2 when it plays. Difficult to hear unless you’re listening for it. To unlock this feature beat a 20 step sequence in the Simon game. The Pax 2 will confirm unlock by flashing the four lights red, blue, green, and yellow and playing the Funky Town tune. To disable the tone simply go into the temperature settings and press the button five times quickly. The Pax 2 will confirm by flashing the four lights red, blue, green, and yellow
That’s all I’ve found for now. Feel free to chime in with any ideas to test in the comments below.
I don’t see my last comment on this thread? Hopefully something didn’t go wrong because I spent forever typing what I found!
I have the electric blue limited edition pax 2. Comes with pacman but no simon sequence game. I have 5 oven settings, and every mode but simon. After you beat level 5 of pacman, the pax will play purple haze upon startup. In pacman, you are the yellow “light”, and your opponent will rotate color, in the order of red, pink, blue, and then orange. You must stay “kiddy corner ” from your opponent at all times until a white light appears. The colored light (opponent) will go over the white light at the same time you try to if… Read more »
yo to play simon on the elcetric blue try spinning it forward like 10 times instead of backward it works
What’s up, fellas? Haven’t posted in awhile. Old PAX had an accident so have new gold PAX 2. Anything new with this one? Should I get the newvape mod(s)? Keep on Subb’n! 😉
Hey Gent! I would ABSOLUTELY recommend the Pax 2 screen and pusher. It’s not the same pax without them. The vented oven lid is hit or miss, I think it’s a good choice for people with weaker lungs who can’t take a thick hit without coughing out a lung (me lol). Skip the vented lid, you’re a seasoned veteran ?.
Hey i think mine is different than the 2 versions mentioned… i spin mine 5x then 3x the opposite direction and i get into simon mode. I also have another mode where it pulses yellow 4x then does a small light sequence and repeats… anybbody else? Mine also will go into simon on almost any sequence of at least 3x one way and 3x the opposite way…
Interesting, I don’t know that it differentiates between a spin one way and a spin the other. In my experience a spin is a spin and it counts it that way. Thanks for your insight =)
Mine definatly recognizes the opposite direction spin. Thats the only way to get into simon mode for my device. If I spin 15 times in a row or 3 sets of 5 or 5 sets of 3 it will continue to cycle thru modes until it reaches a strange one ive yet to encounter elsewhere in which the lights pulse 4x yellow and then do a small color cycle then it repeats. I do have the blu oven setting in all modes as well. I thought mine was a non simon device until i began to experiment with sequencing the… Read more »
Heres a vid of my pax 2 recognizing the technique and going to simon mode:
Heres another vid of my pax 2 entering the yellow mode which turns out is the game PAC MAN!! Then i demonstrate alternate simon entry again after pacman mode…
Wow, this is really cool. I did a bit of reading up on it, now I’m going to try to get my hands on a Pax 2 which can play Pac Man ^_^
Thanks for sharing this with me.
Thanks for leaving my links up your page! I also have heard if you beat lvl 5 of pacman a new tone is unlocked and its jimi hendrixs purple haze! I am going to see if then you can select tones when both are unlocked, so ill report back when i get purple haze unlocked.
Ok, ive unlocked deep purple now! It is now selectable at the tone disable submenu located in the oven settings. It will pulse white 4x indicating tones are now disabled, another 5x clicks of the power button will make a pulse of all different colors simultaneously indicating a tone has been selected. Mine only plays tones so far at startup. I will post bacl with a link to a vid im making showing both tones at startup.
Happy Vaping people!!
Here is video confirmation of both tones and their method of selection:
Looks like it’s the gold Pax 2 that I need to get my hands on.
Be careful with that… remember the spokesperson from pax labs stated that its not color or age dependent but he coud be lying or misinformed for whatever reason. So far ive only heard of a couple people with gold units that didnt have pac man, but how do we know they were accessing the mode menus properly? Atm the best advice i can give people when attempting to enable pac man is to spin until you see the indicator pulse of 3x yellow just like on simon only models as you stated above. There is so much mystery involved in… Read more »
I love the hole line of pax products as I have owned Evey thing they made produced all except that is a #1 pax I have had now 3 Pax#2 and also a turquoise Pax #3 (I am on my 3 pax 2 ,and I have not had pac man on any #2 I think now I do smoke alot so short term memory my not be the best I do know that #3 had a lot of games it had both Pac-Man and Simon that I actually call catch me if you can also it had what reminded me… Read more »
You must be smoking some really good stuff
Only the best. Or sometimes whatever’s available.